NarrowBoat Ezri – Week Three Of Winter

Last week was all about gathering the materials, this week its time to put everything together, But before we can reconstruct the doors we have to deconstruct them and for this I asked for help from my Uncle Andrew ( a recently retired craftsmen specialising In ceramics and pottery) who has helped me out before with wood and other materials. And has the right tools for the right job.

So him and Dad set to work taking out the wood panel the broken end lifted out easy but when they tried to remove the top half of the panel the thin middle came out but the frame stayed suck in the place, so with a few little taps with a hammer they were able to out the remining wood.


Now it sounds as if I was just standing around watching all this but was my job to light the fire the and cook dinner, a few bits of paper and chucks of wood and Ezri was warm again there was a lot somke but that’s because the paper was little damp but that soon stopped, to get the heat for cooking I added a few lumps of coal. As Dad and Uncle Andrew maked up the wood panel for the vent, I put soup into my jug and four small pies on my tin plate watching them as they cooked slowly. (The soup was Carrot and coriander and the pork)


The next thing to do was to cut the silver insulation a simple job, just holding it up to the door making it sit in the steel, and cutting space for the vent hole which we guled to the wood with a thing called No More Nails, which did work. Dinner was the half way point and thanks to Ezri everyone had lovley soup and a pie .

Then it was time glue the wood on to the steel door using the same No More Nails, a cross bar made from the old wood and four clamps then waiting getting warm by the fire, and have a look around the mooring.


Now everything was set, door felt dry so we removed the clamps the wood didn’t fall out so we put the vent cover on and the door bolt, But then we ran into a little problem because when I drew the bolt down it hit the steel frame of the door so Uncle Andrew add wood to the back of the bolt so it fell over the frame but this time when drew the bolt the wood lefted out of the door just a little. It would appear that the glue at the bottom and installation didn’t take very well.

We have a few way of solving this problem and when we do the other side of the door will we are going use them, as for now Ezri is locked up tight (there are parts of the door I not showing) and we are well on our way to making her better.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s